Pages

Tuesday, May 18, 2010

Cohabitating: Yay or nay

Last night, I was watching "True Life: I'm a Newlywed." One couple hadn't done anything-- they hadn't even kissed on the lips, and they wouldn't lie on the couch together at the same time {I thought it was...kind of cute, a little strange, but cute}; and they knew nothing about sex. I mean, not even the basic stuff you get in eighth grade P.E. The other couple has been in a long distance relationship for four years and only saw each other every couple of months.

So anyway, throughout the show, we see their lives, of course. We see how awkward the first couple's kiss was and how they had pretty good sex the first night...it was interesting how they reacted about the whole situation {but that's a post for another day}. In the long distance relationship, the female moved 600 miles to live with her new hubby, and she suddenly realized she didn't know anything about how he lived or his finances {which I didn't understand; they didn't discuss this at all before the marriage? But I digress...}.

This last couple really made me think about the whole issue of cohabitating or even just spending the night with your SO before marrying him/her. I know many are against it for religious/moral reasons, or they don't want to give their milk away {you know the saying}, and I know people who think it's a good idea to do so.

I don't really believe that whole "why buy the cow" thing is true in every situation. I mean, sure, you have some people who want to live with you without the commitment, but a lot of people just want to see how the other person really is and how he/she lives. You never really know someone 'til you live with them. On the other hand, I can understand if you don't want to give your partner "too much..." But if your partner was super messy or a border line hoarder, wouldn't you want to know?

Anyway, what do ya'll think? Do you think it's a good idea to cohabitate before marriage?

No comments: